Jac. de Vries Infraroodtechniek is an established name in the graphic industries. Our Infrared dryers are used worldwide and our knowledge applied.
With the help of these infrared drying installations the drying of the printing ink can be accelerated enormously. The drying of dispersion lacquers can also be carried out excellently due to the IR radiation in combination with warm air. This immediately gives you a production increase and saves time! By using infrared lamps that emit the heat radiation in the short wave range, the response speed of the IR lamps to power changes is very fast. As a result, the emitted power is very well adjustable and it is also safe to use for drying the inks on paper.
Jac. de Vries Infrared technology has developed and installed infrared drying systems for many different sheet and rotation offset printing presses. In addition, we have also designed and produced special screen printing and flexographic printing drying systems for companies. Infrared drying is also of great added value for digital printing and inkjet printing.
You can also come to us for curing UV printing inks and varnishes.
Jac. de Vries IR-Techniek in addition to these customized products also in measuring systems for adhesive lines and bindery machines.
Below you will see more information about the applications for the graphic industries.
Speed, quality and productivity are decisive in the graphics industry. The standard inks need a certain drying time which limit the production speed.
By using infrared dry systems in combination with, the for this purpose special developed inks, the drying time will be reduced.
Advantages of infrared drying:
- Quick setting and drying
- No second impression
- Maximum stacking height, so reduced space requirements
- Reprinting and finishing as soon as within 30 minutes
- Powder savings of 60 – 100%, resulting
- Cleaner working environment and lower machine maintenance
- Density measured wet and dry almost the same
- Higher gloss values
- Less dot enlargement
- Absolute harmless to health
IR dry systems from Jac. de Vries Infraroodtechniek only require little room so they can be placed in the delivery of almost every sheet offset press (see our reference list).
Advantages of Infrared Dryers from Jac. de Vries:
- Standard delivered with short wave IR emitters which an be used on full capacity directly after the have been switched on;
- Directly cooled down after switching off, so less risk of fire;
- Integrated air-cooling with optimal protection against overheating;
- Stepless power control of the IR emitters (hand setting or automatic by measuring the pile temperature);
- Average lifetime of the IR emitters is about 5000 burning hours;
- By placing the IR emitters in the length of the paper direction, you are able to set the drying width of the IR panel to the same size as your sheet width (energy efficient);
- Easy and simply to control
- Easy change of parts which are all hold in stock;
- solid and compact construction.
Types of Infrared Panels:
Standard panel for mounting in the upsweep of the delivery.
Sizes: LxH = 395x65mm, width depends on sheet size
100% versio 250W/cm sheet width
150% version = 375W/cm sheet width
IR panel for mounting in the upsweep with limited space
Sizes: LxH = 265x65mm, width depends on sheet size
50% version = 125W/cm sheet width
120% version = 300W/cm sheet width
Standard panel for mounting in the extension of the delivery.
Sizes: LxH = 395x115mm, width depends on the sheet size
100% version = 250W/cm sheet width
150% version = 375W/cm sheet width
IR panel for mounting in the extension of the delivery in combination with drying of water based varnish for sheet sizes from 102mm and higher.
Sizes: LxH= 542x115mm, width depends on sheet size
425W/cm sheet width
Besides these panels we also make special IR panels for sheet fed offset presses with a low delivery (for example as Komori 20” , Ryobi 784 ). With pleasure we will advise you about the possibilities.
IR drying systems for WEB offset:
If you would prefer to adapt your drying speed to the printing speed rather than the reverse.
Jac. de Vries Web Offset drying is drying at lightning speed
Jac. de Vries web offset IR dryers dry in the printing stage, so before the web goes back onto the roll. Drying not only at lightning speed, but also safely because the paper temperature usually stays between 70-80 C and we guarantee it will not exceed 100 C. Made-to-measure for your press and assembled on site without major modifications or prolonged standstill. Including testing and tuning within 2 days. Dries in the printing stage, before the paper goes back onto the roll or is cut and folded.
What we offer
Jac. de Vries Infraroodtechniek Web Offset sollutions offer you:
- Low investment compared to for instance hot air ovens and a much lower energy consumption.
- Safe (temperature stays below 100 C) and can be switched off very quickly.
- Reprinting and finishing as soon as within 30 minutes.
- Assembly within 2 days.
- No exhaust, ventilation or other special provisions required.
- Environment-friendly: no pollution inside or outside the premises.
- Directly at full power.
Get more from your machinery:
You can not only increase the printing rate, but you can also extend your printing package with full-colour work on newspaper rotation or forms press. Also for high-quality work on coated paper types. That considerably increases the efficiency of your presses. We will be glad to demonstrate this with facts and figures.
About Flexo printing
Flexography (often abbreviated to flexo) is a form of printing process which utilizes a flexible relief plate. It is basically an updated version of letterpress that can be used for printing on almost any type of substrate including plastic, metallic films, cellophane, and paper. That’s why it’s widely used for printing on the non-porous substrates required for various types of food packaging (it is also well suited for printing large areas of solid color). By using water based inks it is also an environmentally friendly printing technique.
Hot air dryers are very conventional to use on flexo printing machines. Infrared radiationpanels are also very suitable to for drying of the ink on carton and foil. UV dryers are often used to dry the ink on aluminium, laminates or plastics.
We have developed an IR dryer to dry special coatings (sealers), which are applied in-line over the ink. This IR drypanel is equipped with carbon lamps. With this IR dryer is it possible to run in-line a higher production speed in compare with the conventional hot air dryers.
IR dryers for Inkjet printing:
No marking and a much higher production speed
Special developed for larger systems were inkjet printheads with a height of 1,5″ (38mm) and waterbased ink are used. By the use of IR drying the production speed can be much higher, up to 85% profit can be reached. Next to this you can also print on coated paper. The inkjet dryers of Jac. de Vries Infraroodtechniek are used f.e. by DJM, IPAS Technologies, Domino, Kirk-Rudy, Scitex and Videojet.
Description of our IR inkjetdryers:
- Very compact building size
- Standard supplied with shortwave IR lamps with lightfilter (no inconvenient visible light)
- Completely harmless, safe to use according the CE-guideline
- Drying width possible from 50 up to 2500 mm (2″up to 100″)
- Can be delivered with mounting bridge to position the inkjetdryer above the printwork.
- Standard or custum made on your specifications
- Stepless powercontrol by handsetting or automatic connected to the printing speed
- Coolingfan integrated in the inkjetdryer, no extraction needed
- Easy to control
- IR dryer can be switched on/off by a potential free contact from the machine.
- Can be supplied with different power levels, depending on the printwork and printing speed
Standard IR inkjetdryers:
We supply the following standard infrared inkjetdryers:
- Type QIR-A-310/1x2kW
- Type QIR-A-310/2x1kW
- Type 65+40/3x2kW
- Type 65+40/3x3kW
Next to this we are able to supply an inkjetdryer for every inkjetsystem, suitable for your application to satisfy your wishes.
Inkjet dryer with a maximum drying width equal to the transit width of your inkjetsystem. Each IR lamp in the IR panel can be switch on/off seperately. In this way a drying width of 40mm (1,6″) can be realised on each spot of the printwork. The required power depends on the production speed, the used material and thickness of the ink.
- We can supply a dryer bridge for a fast and easy mounting of the inkjet dryer on your machine behind the inkjetsystem. On this bridge the IR inkjet dryer can easily by moved over the width of the material to place it in the right drying position.
- Automatic control of the IR power in connection to the printing speed.
Air dry systems
The rise of hot-air drying:
With the increasing use of water-based synthetic lacquers, such as acrylic and dispersion lacquers, hot-air dryers have been gaining ground again lately. These lacquers typically consist for some 60% of water. The hot-air dryer economically reduces the drying time considerably, while the water-saturated air is directly carried off by an exhaust system.
How does it work:
“Air knives” are placed in line with the press that allow continuous and highly accurate (up to 0.1∞) control of the drying capacity using microprocessors. That results in optimum management of the drying process and energy consumption for every type of paper.
Also suitable for intermediate drying
Hot-air dryers are also very suitable for intermediate drying, for instance between two lacquering stages, or between printing and lacquering. They considerably reduce the production time and make the ink set better before the lacquer coat is applied. That also makes it possible to apply several lacquer layers in-line, for instant gold/silver lacquer and protective lacquer, or water-based blister lacquer built up in two layers.
What we offer:
Jac. de Vries Hot-Air dryers provide you in short:
- improved ink setting
- higher gloss values (less absorption losses)
- improved lacquer flow
- improved dot sharpness
- several lacquer types can be applied in-line.
UV dry systems
Ultra Violet Dryers:
Jac. de Vries Infraroodtechniek supplies besides infrared drysystems also different kinds of UV dryers. Due to our experience for years we are able to advise to find a solution for your drying problem.
Jac. de Vries can supply UV dryers with the following specifications:
- 1, 2 of 3 lamps each 120 W/cm
- PTFE conveyorbelt UV- and heat resistance
- Variable speed from 5 upto 35 mtr/minute
- Integrated control and cooling
- light screening
- Controlpanel on the unit
- Quartzfilters between UV lamps and conveyorbelt
- Stand-by switching 50% / 100%
- Maximum focus of the radiation
- Different kind of reflectors can be delivered
Jac. de Vries produces specified exhaust systems. Our exhaust are well known for being the best in the market for infrared and hot-air drying. Next to this we produce specified exhaust installations for any other industrial application.
Improve your working conditions:
Jac. de Vries exhaust systems directly discharge hot or polluted air, superfluous substances, solvents, etc. Our installations contribute considerably to an improved working climate (OSH legislation) and will reduce wear or pollution of machines.
The Jac. de Vries exhaust installations can significantly accalerate the drying process, this results into production gains. Our exhaust systems can be made to measure as requested, and fully geared to the machine and the production process, but also to the type and quantity of the released substances.
What we offer:
We offer various options, including:
- additional fans with a higher rpm for increased capacity;
- central exhaust installation with hoods for various machines;
- fan motor with continuous rpm control (for instance for flawless paper transport).
Various filter systems, e.g. for dry spray powder, with or without automatic cleaning.
IR for Pasting Lines or Bindery
Special Pasting Procedures:
Our short-wave IR drying equipment is also highly suitable for special pasting procedures. A nice example is the dryer that we built for a Kohman window pasting line machine.
Speed and results
It appeared that IR drying considerably accelerated the pasting of windows on PE-coated carton and, moreover, that the consistency was improved considerably. Within 6 hours after pasting, the cartons can now already be processed on the folding machine and within 24 hours they can be taken to the deep-freeze. (Previously, it took 3 days before they could be processed). The result: an enormous production acceleration at a comparatively very low investment.
Infrared usaged when pasting in the bindery:
Also for pasting in the bindery – or for other processes were drying is important – we can manufacture special IR drying systems, fully geared to your process and machinery that will make you gain enormous amounts of time. For instance for quicker and better pasting and drying of book spines, for catalogues, note pads, calendars, etc.
When you are already working with other types of drying, it makes sense to contact us because in many cases IR drying results in considerable savings in energy and space compared to conventional drying systems.